Monday, February 1, 2010

A Dream?

Today is Monday, and I should be working. My coworker/transportation should be ready to go, his suspention is over and done with. But, this job tends to employ a certain unreliability. Not from me, or my boss, we both find it rediculously irritating. But when a person knows that it's incredibly unlikely that he or she would be fired for being late or not showing up at all, it is human nature to take advantage. Given an inch, we are all tempted to take a mile.
So here I am, sitting in my bed, typing to the many people who will probably not read this.
Let's touch on the "Door-To-Door Dream." When hired to their first position as a door to door agent, every person is told of the possibilities; the grandure at the tip of their fingertips. The riches and glory achievable with just a little determination. This is the foundation of Direct Marketing. This is why so many agents are tempted and drawn into a world of deception and manipulation. Many of us are stretching out our arms, reaching out for that plato at the top of the ladder.
You hear buzz names in the business. People who started out just like me! I could be that person?! Someone who now sits in an office counting sales, motivating managers, hiring agents, and collecting checks.
We ask our managers, "How do I get there?" And he or she replies, "write lots of business, and hire more agents."
From here, some of us decide to get where we're going. We save for school, finish school, find that dream job that this was holding us over until.
Or, some of us get obsorbed. Consumed, even. This usually occurs with a more rash personality type. This person will work hard for that giant check. After recieving that check, they will spend it the way that Buzz Name would have. He or she will be back a week later, more broke than before, and ready to work.
I guess when someone visits your door, or when you say, "I hate those door to door guys," I wish you would think of them more as people. People with jobs providing what is likely to be a legitimate product. And then I want you to focus on the product. Not how they're selling it, whether or not they're a good person, or if your supporting their bad habbits or not. Focus on what you can acomplish for you and your home, because that's what's important for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment